My First Time

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord.

 This was my first day as a hospice volunteer!  I just received thirty hours of training, but none of it practical training.  I am not ashamed to confess that I was very scared!  I sat by myself in the small volunteer office for about thirty minutes, afraid to leave.  Finally, I said to myself that I cannot spend all evening sitting in the office!  So, I got up and walked out!



  The first patient I sat with mostly slept.   I picked this patient because he was sleeping!  I needed some time in a patients room just to get used to the hospital environment, which can be very intimidating!  

 A second one was restless and the nurses said that I just needed to stay a few minutes until her daughter returned.  When she returned she kinda let me know that she wanted some privacy. Body language is everything.  So I quickly left. 



 It was a good day to break myself in.  I stayed only 2 hours, but it was enough as I was tired from working all day.  I also made a few pots of coffee before I left.

Were you ever scared to do a new thing?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

Brother Roop
July 27, 2009

Comments

Popular Posts