A Troubled Man

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

It was late in the evening at our hospice.  I was quiet and the lights were dimmed.  In one of the rooms was a middle-aged man laying in bed and watching television. 


            I walked into the room and introduced myself.  He kept looking forward at the television with a blank stare. Normally I would excuse myself at this point, but something urged me to stay!  So, I asked him if I could watch television with him.  He nodded yes and I walked around the bed and sat on the wooden stool next to him. 

            We watched television for about an hour.  During the commercials, I would ask him questions to start a conversation.  But he didn’t seem interested.

            He had never married and had no children.  He did have a large portrait of a middle-aged man on the table.  I discerned that he was gay.  I didn’t ask him!  If I had it wrong, and he was not gay, it would have been insulting!


            He was alert, but seemed very depressed.  I looked around the room and there were no personal items, flowers, stuffed animals, nothing!  It appears that he has had no visitors.  Only that one portrait, all by its self! I kind of got the impression that his partner had abandoned him to his fate. 

            I felt a sadness come over me as we finished his television show.  When it was done, he abruptly asked me to leave, because he wanted to sleep. 

            I did not feel rejected.  If there is one thing that I have learned is that I cannot please everyone.  I was grieved that I could not help him in some way.  The man needed compassion and I felt that I had a lot to give.  He just could not accept it.  I felt the spirit of depression in the room as I left. 



            He was a troubled man!  I felt that I tried to help the situation, but we cannot win every battle.  I left the room and prayed for him in the hallway.  Some situations we just have to leave for God to handle.

Do you know of anyone who is closed up and will not talk much?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you enjoyed this story you can click on the "follow" button so you don't miss any.

Brother Roop
August 3, 2009

Comments

  1. I am pretty Sad all the things in my life That have haPpened I don't really want to be sad And I pray all the time But losing my mother was so hard and I just can't seem to get over it I have lived in constant sadness For years it seems And me and my wife are living in a shack in the woods I miss my family Really bad after Everything with my mother's death it seems like no one wanted Me Anymore and I felt very hurt I Always dependent on my mother And she always helped me it is hard to do life without her to tell you the truth my mind is in a constant state of grief and sorrow it hurts very bad All the time..Me and my mom where friends I feel like my family hates me I am not a bad man just very troubled with pain sadness grief and sorrow I am a good man why Did my family Shut me out what have I done to deserve all of this tell me please somebody To deal with all this ambience pain For what...I Am A Good Man Tell me why I really want to Now I Don't deserve any Of this I am A good man I Know God loves Me Why Has He Made me feel All This We Are Great friends I Have gone to Many churchs In this City and No one likes me I need love Someone to hold me Close And tell me They love me and care about me I have Been though enough Pain When Will It stop When can I Have a Normal Life Again When will The Pain Stop Can You Tell Me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry that you are still troubled by your mother's passing. You did share this with me briefly before. Losing a loved one is always difficult. But if you could speak to your mother today, I am sure that she would tell you to continue loving her but to move on with your life, and she will meet again with you later, when you join her again. And you will see her again! Just like you keep Jesus in your heart everyday, you can keep your mother in your heart as well. All of us will cross the Jordan and be on the "other" side with Jesus and our loved one's. After church service you are always welcome to talk to me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts