Where Is My Family!

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I was at our hospice on a warm Saturday morning with a new volunteer shadowing me today.  Her name is Nellie, a very skinny twenty year old Asian-American lady from the Bay Area of California.  She is here attending Rice University.



We walked into a room with an elderly lady lying in bed.  The nurse had informed me that the lady was confused, which is a general way to say that she has a problem with her memory.  A problem with the memory could be natural like Alzheimer disease or dementia.  It can also be man-made caused by medication.

We sat down with the lady, letting Nellie sit next to her.  The lady was had of hearing and we had to talk loud to her.  I noticed that Nellie was a little annoyed by it all.



During our conversation, the lady kept saying, "Where is my family!". She would say it in a distressed tone of voice!  But she said also that her son lived in town and was taking care of her.  Did she just forget his visits or was he not showing up?

I didn't see a lot of personal items in the room, but men don't normally do that anyway.  If he did visit, would she recognize him?  Would she even remember a visit by him after he left?  I don't know what the situation.



But she kept saying the same thing over and over again, "where is my family?". I felt sorry for her regardless of the situation.  It made for a sad visit.

Have you ever had a sad visit with someone? Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you enjoyed this story you can click on the link to follow this blog.

Brother Roop


Comments

Popular Posts