The Colonel's Odyssy

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I was sent to a room down the hall by a nurse at the second floor nurses station.  He is a retired Army, African-American, Lt. Colonel that served in the Army for thirty-two years.  His name is Clifford, and he is now a patient at our hospice!




Normally, a patient is at a local or distant hospital, and when they are determined by two doctors, they are put on hospice care!  Most of our patients are at home with a caretaker who is there to take care of them.

If they do not have a caretaker at home, they come here, and we take care of them.  They always come here in an ambulance, always!  Because by the time they are ready to come here, they are very weak, most of the time they cannot even walk!



Now Clifford is a different breed then everyone else!  He drove himself to our hospice, parked his car, and checked himself into our care!  He made the decision that it was time to die!

I spent several hours visiting with him, and we immediately liked each other since I served in the Air Force for four years myself.  We talked mostly about his service and his medical condition.  His has advanced liver disease!



He told me that he just got tired of dialysis and being stuck with needles all of the time!  He vowed that after he turned sixty-years-old, he would stopped the dialysis and allow the disease to progress!

He did just that!  Just after his sixty-year-old birthday, he drove here and checked himself into our hospice.  But, we were to find out that he was also running away from something.  That something was his ex-girlfriend!



After my visit with him on Saturday, his ex-girlfriend found him at our hospice on Thursday.  I was informed by one of the nurses that his ex-girlfriend came in and raised cane!  She was yelling and screaming and demanded that Clifford by discharged.

The Colonel finally relented and agreed to be discharged.  He left with her to the nearest emergency room, where I suppose that he will be back on dialysis again!  I felt very sad for him when I heard the news this Saturday, I wish him well on his troubling odyssey!

Have you ever met a troubled person in a bad situation before?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you enjoyed this story you can click on the link to follow this blog.

Brother Roop

My other blog:
www.biblicalhermeneuticsposts.blogspot.com

Apostolic Theological Seminary
www.atseminary.com


Comments

Popular Posts