The Gift

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I was in a room with an older Hispanic man in bed with lung cancer.  His girlfriend was a middle-aged lady from Denmark.  She was his pen pal for the last seventeen years while he was in the Texas prison system.  He was a prisoner for thirty-six years!



She told me all about their rather odd relationship.  I sat down and visited with them all morning.  It was difficult for him to speak and I think that this lady needed someone else around to talk to.  She is a very loving and compassionate lady.

Sometime in our morning conversation, she asked me why I volunteer there at the hospice.  I told her that I wanted to give back to the community and to serve others.  She told me that her sister, who lives in Germany, was also a hospice volunteer!



I told her that I have been a hospice volunteer for ten years and it has been a blessing to me.  She thought that it was a good idea and told me that it was a great gift to give to others!  I thanked her for her kind words and I asked her to say hello to her sister for me.

I have never really thought about it much, but I guess that she is right, it is a gift of my time, a gift of my attention, a gift of love to others.  Everyone should bless others in some way.  This kind lady said that she could never volunteer in a hospice.  I told her that that was okay, she could give another gift to others.

Do you have a gift that you give to others?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you enjoyed this story you can click on the "follow" button so that you don't miss any.

Brother Roop

Comments

Popular Posts