Raphael Is Now Active!

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

Two weeks ago I was visiting a patient named Raphael.  She was a graphic artist who had been living in the United States for decades, but was originally from France.  She still had a french accent!



I thought that I would like to visit her again.  So I knocked on the door and walked in the room.  One of her close friends was there, standing by the bed and Raphael was lying in bed.

Her friend came around to greet me.  I asked her if she remembered me from two weeks ago and she smiled and said she did.  She said that Raphael is very close to death!  Her breathing was very shallow and fast, which is one of the last stages of the body dying!



I looked at the wall and complemented her on the decorations.  They had put up a few posters of advertising accounts Raphael had done in her successful career.  One of them everyone has seen before, a Budweiser Beer advertisement.  It's three women in swimsuits with Budweiser across on their swimsuits.

There was a few Buddhist or Hindu spirit reflection posters, and a female nude poster that she would not explain.  I was amazed and very impressed.



After that I noticed that I needed to leave so that Raphael could die with only her friend by her side.  In hospice care and actively dying patient is called an "active patient!". Of course I completely understood and quickly left.  As I walked away I felt a sense of loss.  Skin cancer has taken another soul.

Have you ever seen an active patient?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you enjoyed this story you can click on the link to follow this blog.

Brother Roop

Comments

  1. Actively dying is when a patient is very close to death and it could happen any time . Breathing is very shallow and laboured and their condition is continually deteriorating Common symptoms that patients experience , like "" pre- terminal agitaton , noisy respiratory secretions , "" death rattle"". ,pain ,should be well controlled in a hospice patient who will likely have a syringe driver , providing continuous release of the right cocktail of drugs taiolred to manage their symptoms . They are also prescribed drugs pre- emptively ,as common signs and symptoms are present as death is approached . These drugs are "" rescue remedies"" if you like ,that can be injected ,if or when required , without delay .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks you for your knowledgeable reply. I was informed by the nurse that she was an "active patient." I had visited with her and her friend the week before, so I wanted to at least visit the friend and offer any support I could. Her breathing was short and shallow. I am not competent to explain about the medications, And I never know what medications are given out. The friend was happy to see me again, but wanted to keep my visit short, which I did.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts