Somali Candy

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I was talking to Mohammed, our new security guard at our hospice.  He was talking about his home country of Somalia.  The conversation turned to candy.  Somalia is such a poor country, I didn't think that they had candy there.  It turns out that I was wrong!



He told me that they eat a lot of candy there and that there are candy factories there as well.  He said that they only make hard candy only due to the lack of refrigeration in the country.  He thought that it was basically pure sugar cooked into a solid.

Mohammed said that the people walk everywhere they need to go, since most family groups only had one car to share and it was only used for long distance trips.  Anywhere local, everyone walked!  He told me that they liked the very sugary candy because they needed the energy because life there was hard work and lots of walking!




In his home town is the Treepiano Bakery and Sweets factory which makes a lot of the hard candy.  His home town is called Bosaso.  I had misunderstood him the last time and thought it was a part of the capital city of Mogadishu.  I was wrong.  Mogadishu is in the southern part of the country and Bosaso is in the northern part of the country.

What is your favorite candy?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

Brother Roop

Comments

Popular Posts