Paper Machine #7

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I walked into a room with an older lady in bed and a middle aged man sitting beside her.  I offered the gentleman a mint and he gladly accepted several.  The patient was his mother.  She was unconscious but comfortable.  He was short and plump and looked kind.  He looked like one of those nice uncles we see on rare occasions.



He told me about his carrier at a local paper mill in Crosby, TX.  He said that all of the paper mills have all shut down due to cheaper paper from overseas.  He said that they can make paper and ship it over here cheaper than they could make it.  Due to the fact of paper mills paying good wages here.

He said that the mill had a half dozen owners over the thirty-two years that he worked there.  He remembered them all!  I told him that I delivered on occasion to a mill in East Texas.  He corrected me and said that it was not a paper mill but a pulp mill.  I admitted that I didn't see the final product.  I'm sure that he is correct as he was very knowledgeable.



He said that for most of the years at this mill he manned paper machine number seven.  The paper was made, pressed, and bleached white and rolled up is huge rolls and put on trucks and rail cars.  There were many paper machine but his was number seven.

I revealed to him that thirty years ago, I used to pick up these rolls of paper in my truck and deliver them around the country.  Paper mills are dirty and loud places.  Each roll was two tons!  They were very heavy!

Have you ever worked in a paper mill?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

Brother Roop

Comments

Popular Posts