Joy To The Hospice

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

Just after I walked into the hospice to start my day.  A young lady was walking with Sarah, today's Charge nurse.  Her name was Joy.  She was here for an appointment with Alissa, our head of the volunteer department for an interview.  Sarah was happy to give her to me just as I gave her an invitation to shadow me.  I offered it because she said that she had been through the three day training course.

Joy is an Korean-American.  She said that she was born and raised in San Francisco, California, and moved her to live with her grandparents during high school.  She is very young, early twenties, very pretty and petite and soft spoken.  She mentioned that her teenage years was a bit troubled.  She said that she worked a clerical job for a Korean steel import company.



She seemed soft spoken and innocent, so I decided our first visit should be with Nick, our homeless patient.  Nick is a bit rough and sometimes profane.  Nick has AIDS and Hepatitis C from drug abuse.  You can read his story in my post called "Cocaine and Needles."  She got an eye-opening visit there!  We got Nick some ice cream, he likes ice cream.  Nick mentioned that he wanted to go back to sleep to avoid a sponge bath!  Nick isn't fond of sponge baths!

Our second visit was with a Hispanic family.  The man was the patient and his wife and daughter were there.  We sat down and had a nice loving visit with them.  It was a good visit for Joy to sit in on.  Joy was not very talkative, but she is new, it's okay.

Joy was very shy and soft spoken and I mentioned that she needed to talk louder and talk more.  She said that she was afraid to say the wrong thing.  I told her that that is a normal fear that everyone has and that she just needed to go for it and talk more anyway.  I think that she will be fine.



Do you know a Korean or an ethnic Korean?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you liked this story please click on the "follow" button so that you don't miss any.

Brother Roop




Comments

Popular Posts