Active Patient

Hello everyone. Praise the Lord!

I had just finished with my mint run when the nurse on the second floor told me that a patient was considered"active" and needed a volunteer to be there until the family arrived. 

A patient that is "active" is one that is actively dying, and the time is short!  The nurse said that it was not yet considered urgent and that if I had something else to do, that I had some time.



I did in fact made an obligation downstairs and so I made that visit with that patient and their family members.  But I was delayed in that other patients room fulfilling their needs and ministering to them.

Afterwards, I returned to the room of the active patient, only to find out that the family arrived sooner and that they were there!  That was great to see since a family members presence is always preferred! 

The patient was an elderly white lady who was unconscious and resting.  In the room with her was two elderly women and and a elderly man.  One woman was sitting on the chair and she was a sister of the patient.  She is from Sealy, TX.  The couple on the couch were from Texarkana, TX. 



All three were retired.  The folks from Texarkana we're staying with the sister in Sealy.  They were all here to say goodbye to their sister, whom they loved very much! 

I stayed with them for about twenty minutes to offer comfort and love.  The final hours of an active patient are the most emotionally stressful.  It's at these times that my ministry is the most important.

Have you lost a loved one lately?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

Brother Roop

Comments

Popular Posts