The Scent Of The Garden

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

Even though rain was in the forecast for today and next couple of days, the rain has not yet shown itself.  It is overcast which has kept the temperature down.  It's a pleasant day to serve others for the Lord at the hospice.

After I did my usual chores of making sure the break room is stocked up, I went to see if the nursing staff need anything.



I walked down the hallway towards the nurses station, and before I could utter a word, one of the nurses exclaimed, "I have a patient who want to go out in the garden,"

Even though the patient was bedridden and hooked up to oxygen and pain medication, that request is not a problem at our hospice.  We can make it happen!

I walked into her room and introduced myself as a volunteer ready to serve her, and she was happy to see me.  I told her that I would be overjoyed to take her to the garden.  As I was talking the nurse disconnected her from her oxygen and pain medication.



They gave her a mobile oxygen bottle and without medication she has a limited amount of time without it.  So we had no time to waste!

With her in bed and now disconnected, I wheel her to the back utility elevator, since its a little bigger.
I roll her to the back door, which both large door open, and into the back patio.  From there we go down the walkway about thirty feet.

She absolutely loves it.  The fresh air, the breeze, the smell of the flowers and flowering bushes and trees.  With the garden surrounded by a brick wall, the scent of the garden is strong and very pleasant!



While we were there enjoying the garden, three other volunteers walk up and chat with us for a few minutes.  It's always good to see other hospice volunteers!

After about thirty minutes the patients pain starts to increase!  So we have to return to the room and hook her up to her pain medication again.

After many thanks from her and the nurses, I went to visit with other patients.  It's always a pleasure to give the patients what they want and need.  Sometimes that is just to smell the scent of the garden.

Do you have a garden you like to visit?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you liked this story please click on the "follow" button so that you do not miss any.

Brother Roop


Comments

Popular Posts