His Sister Called

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

The last four weeks I had been rocking babies!  That has unfortunately become my temporary routine.  Unfortunately, because it is always sad to see a baby in a hospice as a patient!  One of the baby’s went home with her patents, and the other beautiful baby went home to the Lord. 


 After with visiting several folks, I then sat with a gentleman who was unconscious and alone.  No one should be alone at the end of their life.  So, I sat with him to keep him company.  Even though the patient was unconscious, I still think that he knew that someone was in the room with him.

I had been sitting in the quiet of the evening, just enjoying the solitude for about an hour.  Then the nurse glided into the room.  The patient’s sister had called the nurse at the nurse’s station down the hall. 


 She lived in Arizona, and did not have any money to travel all of the way here to see him in person.  She had been very distressed that her brother was dying and she could not be there. But the nurse had a talk with her, and described to her that the last sense that we lose when we are dying, is your hearing. 

So, even though she could not be her in person, she could talk to him on the telephone.  On the phone she could tell him all that is in her heart.  When she understood that, she was very relieved and grateful for the opportunity. 


That is why the nurse had glided into the room while I was sitting there with the patient.  The nurse smiled at me and told me what was going on.  The nurse took the phone receiver off of the base and made sure his sister was there.  Then she held the receiver to the patient’s ear. 

 The nurse held the phone while the patient’s sister told her brother how much she loved him, and to say a final goodbye to him.  We could hear her talking on the phone, but we could not understand what she was saying.  The nurse was very patient and loving.

  I could discern that it was a joy for the nurse to perform this act of love for the patient and his sister.  I was just sitting there as a spectator, but I felt so blessed to be there to witness this act of love between a nurse and her patient.


When the nurse left, I sat there in awe.  It returned to a quiet evening in a quiet room.  I sat there and was grateful for what I had witnessed and was happy for the patient.  After about thirty minutes the same nurse returned.

The patient’s daughter was now on the phone!  The same sign replayed itself.  The nurse went through the same motion and she was able to say goodbye to her father.  I was blessed a second time!



When the nurse had finished and left for the second time, I remained with the patient.  It was back to being a quiet evening.  I sat there in the quiet, thinking that his family could not come to see him, but I was there!  I, unwittingly, was there in their place.  I was there standing in the gap.  Their presence was missing, but I could be for them.  They provided the loving words, and I could provide the loving presence.  I was honored!

Have you ever witnessed a compassionate act?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you enjoyed this story please click on the "follow" button so that you don't miss any.

Brother Roop
Oct 1, 2011

My website:
www.billroopministries.com

My other blog:
www.biblicalhermeneuticsposts.blogspot.com

Apostolic Theological Seminary
www.atseminary.com

Comments

Popular Posts