Two Patients Pass On!

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

Summertime is here, it was eight-thirty in the morning and it is already hot!  I got my badge and look at the patient board, which was kinda full.  Lots of patients here.  I noticed that Nick is still here.

I walked in the downstairs break room and found that the cleaning lady was making coffee and putting out cups.  That's what happens when I come in later than normal!  In a fun way I said "hey, are you doing my job!"  She is a very nice lady and she laughed.



I go to the second floor to see Nick, but he is still sleeping.  As I was going back to the elevator, I see one of the nurses go into his room to give him some medication.  She wakes him up and and as he is taking his pills he says to me that he will be going back to sleep, so I move on.

I go to the third floor and I meet a very nice Hispanic lady.  We talk by the nurses station, she works at the airport and lives just north of downtown.  She had just gotten off work and was visiting a patient whom is a longtime friend and neighbor.  I told her that she was a good friend!

The nurse ask me to sit with a patient whom is very difficult.  I walk in and an elderly black man was sitting up eating ice cream.  I ask him if he needed some company and he exclaimed, "No."  As I leave the room the man across the hall just passed away.  A black man and two women are there with him and grieving.  Always sad to see that happen but it is the nature of the place.

I go to the next room and sit with an elderly bearded man.  He is heavily medicated and laying in bed.  The nurse told me that he is a homeless man with no family.  I sit with him for about an hour.  Even though he was asleep, it's always good to spend time with someone whom has no family.



I go back downstairs and discover that another man had passed away.  A Hispanic man with a large family present.  I spoke briefly with the son, a Hispanic man in his fifties.

I stop in to see if Nick is awake yet and sure enough he is indeed.  I visit with him for about an hour, watching T.V. together.  He said that breakfast was good, but was not too impressed with lunch, which was tuna fish and chicken soup.  The cook walks in and he asked for cereal instead.

It was a busy morning at the hospice.  Two Patient's pass away and are on their way to a new existence somewhere else.  Always sad to see, but that is part of hospice care.  I talked with Chaplain Tony on the way out.

Have you been at a place where someone had passed away?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

Brother Roop

Comments

Popular Posts