Control!

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I remember a story from years ago, but I have always remembered it because it had made a great impression on me.

I went in the hospice to volunteer on a Saturday evening.  It was a warm quiet summer evening outside.  Even though it was a beautiful evening, I felt the need to do the Lord's work.



After getting my badge, reviewing our patient chart and other duties like making coffee and restocking the break room.  I visited with several patients and family members downstairs, then went upstairs.

I went to the nurses station to inquire about any patients who would like some company, she said that she might.  She told me of a patient in a great deal of pain and that she might want someone there, but probably not.

 She told me that the patient had refused any pain medication, even though she was dying of cancer!  The reason was that she wanted to remain in control!  As a patient, she had that right.

She told me what room and I zipped over there.  There was a middle aged white lady in bed.  She was shaking in agony and gritting she teeth!  I felt very uncomfortable!  She looked up at me and I could see the agony in her eye's!



I asked her if she wanted some company and she shook her head "no."  I replied "okay" and slowly left the room.  It was a very awkward moment for me.  I hate to admit it but I was happy to get out of there!

I was absolutely amazed that someone would value control of her body and surroundings that she would go so far as to refuse any medication!  To choose to spend the last remaining days of your life in terrible pain because she valued control more.  It was hard to believe and comprehend!

As a Christian we learn to give up control to Jesus Christ.  I have known control freaks in my life and I have always been disturbed by them.  I renewed my faith in God to allow Him to have control of my life.

Do you know of someone who values control?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

Brother Roop

Comments

Popular Posts