Not Another Sponge Bath!

Hello everyone.

After hearing about one of our volunteers fall (see post "Volunteer Injured!"), I went upstairs.  The bottom floor was closed due to a small census.  I sat to visit with Nick.

Nick has been in the hospice two or three months now.  A charity case since he is homeless.  I have now visited with him for three times now.  He seemed the same.  They changed his medication so he was a bit spaced out.



He was eating lunch when I walked in his room and made myself at home.  His appetite is still very good.  He said that it was good, but he did manage to find something to complain about it.

After his lunch the nurses came to pick up the tray.  After she left, he said that they wanted to do another sponge bath on him.  He didn't like the sponge baths!  I said that they like to keep him clean.  He said that they were too rough and pushed and turned him too much.  When I went to get him more ice, the nurse laughed and said that he always turned himself!

We then finished watching a strange movie that he was in the middle of watching on TV.  After that one another one called "Barbershop" started and we watched that one also.  At the same time Nick was going through his playing cards that his step-daughter gave him.














The nurses told me earlier that they were going to move him to another hospice. The Omega House Hospice.  That hospice specializes in AIDS patients.  Nick has AIDS and Hepatitis C.  He received both from using dirty needles injecting cocaine.  Nick didn't know anything about it.

Have you ever had a sponge bath?  How did it make you feel?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

Brother Roop

Comments

Popular Posts