The Trouble Maker

Hello everyone.

Several years ago, yes I am now just telling this story!  I came into the hospice and found out that I was in need right away!  There was a male patient causing all kinds of trouble.  So, they were happy that a volunteer, and a large man like myself, came in to volunteer.  My job was to sit with this man and to keep him happy!



I walk into the room expecting the worst.  I walk in and I find this little man in bed in a very warm room.  I introduce myself and it turns out he was a very nice guy!  I asked him why his room was so warm, and he said that he was very cold due to poor circulation because of his medical condition.  The nurses turned the heat in his room very high but he was still cold.

On the third floor of the hospice we have a stainless steel blanket warmer.  So I went and got the gentleman several heated blankets.  When I put the heated blankets over him he was immediately happy!  He said that they felt so good!  His countenance changed immediately now that he was more comfortable.



I now sat down to visit with him.  He was a very nice and humble man.  He worked as a common farm and ranch worker in South Texas around the Victoria, Texas area.   He had no possessions in this world but he didn't seem to mind.  He was a man that just lived day to day and enjoyed life as it came to him.

I found out by talking with him that he was very lonely.  He was not getting any positive attention, like having visitors, so he was getting attention in a negative way by being a problem for the nurses!
So I decided to stay with him awhile, four or five hours as I can remember.  We talked about his life on a farm in south Texas and what he liked to do in life.  He never married and had no children.  He was a very simple man going through life in a very casual way.  I kinda envied him in that regard.



When I told the nurses that he was lonely, they decided to spend a few minutes to talk with him from time to time.  Just because someone is a trouble maker, it is usual for a reason.  It can be for several reasons behind this kinda behavior, in this case it was loneliness.  A good long visit from a loving person is the simple cure for this problem.

Has anyone else meet a trouble maker?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you liked this story please click on the "follow" button so you do not miss any.

Brother Roop




Comments

Popular Posts