The Seamstress

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I walked past  the room several times during my morning of ministry at the hospice. One elderly African-American family member very busy paying bills. She was sitting next to the bed of her dying mother.  I didn't go in because she was busy, and I had other things to do.  After the lady took a break getting coffee for herself down in the break room, I noticed that she was free of her burdens.  I walked in and introduced myself as a volunteer and asked if she wanted some company while her mother rested.  She said that she would like a visit.

The lady told me a beautiful story about her mother growing up in Victoria, Texas, and later Corpus Christi, Texas, as well.  She said that they lived in Corpus Christi, by the sea. Her mother and father loved to fish!  They fished all of the time.  Whenever they went fishing that they always went the long way using the back roads just to enjoy the car ride.



Her father was a cook and her mother sewed dresses for the local refined ladies.  She soon got a well earned reputation as the best dress maker in the area.  She was so good that one of the ladies she sewed dresses for wanted to help her buy a dress shop!  But her second husband at the time didn't want her to do it, so she passed.  Her mother always regretted it.

Her mother caught her first husband chasing other women so she threw him out of the house. Her Grandmother always taught her that if a man didn't act right to get rid of him!  That is exactly what she did!  When her second husband proposed marriage she had a sit down with him and told him that if he cheated on her he would also meet the same fate!  He said that he understood the rules.



Her mother was an expert seamstress, and could look at a dress and quickly judge about the quality of the material and the workmanship.  Back in those days the best clothes were still the hand made clothes.  I'm guessing that it really is today as well.

Does anyone else know a seamstress?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

Brother Roop



Comments

  1. Brother Roop, I never knew a seamstress particularly but I did learn to fish at a very early age. I love fishing also. I would think my earliest memory of going fishing was when I was 7 or 8 years old. Mother taught me to bait a hook and string the float and how to keep my mouth closed or I would never catch anything. I learned quickly I must say and I couldn't be squeamish about cleaning what I caught. When I caught fish I was expected to clean them. I was good with that and I came to enjoy fishing quite a lot. The last fishing trip I've been on was a saltwater fishing trip with mother before her death. She caught a nice redfish and I caught a drum. We enjoyed a nice dinner that night out on the beaches and we watched the ocean under moonlight all night long and then packed up and went home next morning. All in all it was probably the best fishing experience I had and I will always remember that big red fish that she caught and was very proud of. Mother never let me live that one down but that was all right. Her favorite sport was fishing too and I was glad she enjoyed herself as well. I know this wasn't about seamstress and making clothes but I just thought I would share this story since fishing was brought up in the above story. I've been enjoying reading your blogs. Thank you for sharing. Meschelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sister Meschelle, that is a very nice story. It sounds like a very beautiful memory of your mother. It sounds like your mother was a very special lady!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts