Christmas Decorations

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

The first thing that I noticed when I walked in our hospice was the Christmas decorations!  None of the outside decorations are up yet, but they will be soon!  Christmas is a special time at our hospice.  We put up a lot of lights and trees to make the holiday special for our visitors.


            After making some coffee and a few chores, I talked with the nurses on the first-floor nurses’ station.  They said that they had put up the decorations inside.  More will be put up, usually by volunteers.  Our volunteers love putting up the decorations!  The maintenance man always puts up the outside decorations.

            I noticed an elderly black gentleman sitting in the corner of a patient’s room.  So, I walk in to visit with him.  He was the cousin of the patient lying in bed before us.  He said that they had lived close together growing up, and they considered themselves as brothers.  They grew up and played, and went to school together.


            Just at that point, the nurses came into the room to turn the patient, so we walked together to the break room.  There, we talked about their church and his neighborhood.  He had such great memories of his cousin.  It was a great feeling to have him remember and talk about it.  That’s the spirit of hospice.

            After I left him, I spoke with the nurses for a while.  One of the nurses was stiff from putting up some of the decorations.  I noticed a patient was asleep and alone, so I walked in and sat with him for about an hour. 


            At Christmas time everyone brings a gift for our patients and family members.  The nurses put up the inside decorations, the maintenance guys put out the outside decorations, and the hospice volunteers also help with the decorations.  My gift is to provide compassionate friendship to the lonely and heart-broken people around me.

Have you done something small to help someone else?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you enjoyed this story you can click on the "follow" button so that you don't miss any.

Brother Roop
Nov 26, 2011

My website:
www.billroopministries.com

My other blog:
www.biblicalhermeneuticsposts.blogspot.com

Apostolic Theological Seminary
www.atseminary.com

Comments

Popular Posts