The Korean Man

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I had just arrived at our hospice and I was putting out cookies and making some coffee in the break room.  One of the nurse’s walked into the break room giving a tour of the facility to an elderly couple.


After my duties in the break room were done, I walk around the corner down the hall towards the nurse’s station.  As I am walking, I peek into a room on the right and see an elderly man standing and leaning of his bed post!

Patients here are a fall risk, so I run to the nurse’s station and alert his nurse that he was out of bed!  She then ran to his room and gently guided him back into bed and kindly reminded him that he is a fall risk and must remain in bed.  He was an elderly Korean man.


While the nurse was getting him back into bed, I went across the hall and visited with an elderly African-American man.  We had a very nice visit for about fifteen minutes until he received a phone call.  That means it’s time to excuse myself and leave.

By that time the Korean man was back into bed.  I seen a need in that someone needed to sit with this man and keep in bed.  I decided that it was up to me!

I walked back into his room and pulled up the wooded stool so that I could sit next to him.  I soon found out that his English was very limited, but we managed.


He seemed to be very happy in having me get some things for him.  That is never a problem, because it’s a wonderful service to offer patients.

He asked for some beef broth.  We always have plenty of beef broth because often here that is the only thing they can consume. 


I walked to the nurse’s station and got a container of beef broth and a straw.  After heating it up I brought it to him.  He was very thankful for it.

He then asked for some beef jerky which we don’t have.  It was kind of funny that a Korean man was asking for beef jerky!

We visited for a while and the nurse’s aide brought in a nice fish plate for supper.  When he had seen the fish, his face lite up.  I stayed with him while he ate.  He ate it all and he really enjoyed it.


 After his supper he asked for a Texas cookie!  I did check with kitchen, but we didn’t have any Texas cookies.  A Texas cookie is a very large oatmeal cookie.  It’s called a Texas cookie because it is very large.  Remember, everything is bigger in Texas!

 We visited for a little while longer until he received a phone call, so I excused myself.  As I was leaving his room, I wonder why he had no visitors.  He was a very nice man and I enjoyed his company, but some things you just don’t want to bring up.



 I walked back to the break room and I had a nice visit with a couple about the history of our hospice.  I then did my paperwork and left for the day. But I often think about the Korean man that I was blessed to visit with that day.

Do you know any Korean people?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you enjoyed this story you can click on the "follow" button so you don't miss any.

Brother Roop
November 12, 2011

My website:
www.billroopministries.com

My other blog:
www.biblicalhermeneuticsposts.blogspot.com

Apostolic Theological Seminary
www.atseminary.com

Comments

Popular Posts