The Fall

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I was not at the hospice for very long when the nurses and I heard a call for help. The assigned nurse walked over to the room and announced that we had a "man down."  She said it in such a calm voice that we were kinda confused.  So, we all walk over there, and sure enough, a male patient was face down on the ground!



The kind nurses are very well trained in picking up a fallen patient!  The retrieved a couple of blankets and put them under him and asked the patient to help in getting up.  He was put back in bed and he was unhurt.  When I asked why both of the side bars were not up, the nurses replied that patients have a right to get out of bed and fall.  A right to fall!  I think that is very stupid.  Patients should be restrained enough to keep from falling!  Nope, they have a right to fall!

His name is "Shawn", a forty-nine year old Hispanic man.  I told the nurses that I now know what to do that morning.  Sit and watch Shawn!  So, I sat with him for over two hours.  I never could speak with him because he was breathing very hard the entire time.  He could not get his breath!  The nurses gave him some medication for his breathing and lowered the temperature in the room, all to no effect.



He finally relaxed and was dosing off, so I excused myself.  I spoke with a few more folks and left for the day.  Even though I never spoke with Shawn, I felt that I did a good service for him.

Has anyone else heard of a crazy rule?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you liked this story please click on the "follow" button for the next great story!

Brother Roop





Comments

Popular Posts