Happy Holly and Gary Larry

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I had a new volunteer to meet at the hospice yesterday.  "Holly" is her name. She is a young lady in her mid-twenties.  Petite and pretty.  She is very intelligent and just graduated from the University of Texas and the University of Michigan for her masters in business.  She works here in town as a consultant with a business consulting firm.  Very smart young lady and had a happy disposition about her that was infectious!



I was about fifteen minutes late, and as I walked into the hospice, the security guard told me I had a new volunteer waiting on me!  I first went into our small volunteer office to get my badge, she wasn't there, so I walked to the downstairs break room,  There she was making coffee!

 No sitting around for her, she was determined to be busy, I like people whom stay busy.  When Jesus Christ was picking His disciples, He didn't pick any lazy people, He picked busy people.

After introductions I started to show her my kitchen routine.  Filling the plastic ware, making fresh coffee, cleaning up, etc.  Another volunteer was there whom I haven't seen in a while, an older lady, she went in did her own thing.



As my routine, I took the mint can and went passing out mints to people to break the ice with people.  We visited one room that had a caretaker with her client patient.  She was very nice Hispanic lady and was very smart and know what she was doing.  She was very compassionate to her patient.

 As we were there the nurse came in to give the patient more morphine.  The caretaker said that her patients nose was hurting her and the morphine was not helping it because she needed oxygen to breath and needed a full breathing mask.



We went upstairs and meet a patient named Larry.  Larry was awake and able to talk and wanted some company.  So we walk in and talk to him as he throws up first in a barf bag, then in a trash can next to his bed, then back in the barf bag!  I glance at Holly and she is looking the other way!  But she did persevere and continued our conversation with Larry.

 Larry said that he was from Garry, Indiana, just outside Chicago.  He came from a large black family there but he came to Houston for work.  He said that he worked in a steel mill in Gary and I didn't catch what he did down here.  He seemed to be estranged from his family in Garry and didn't want to talk about work here, so I left it alone.  Larry did mention that he lived down the street from a cousin of Michael Jackson, and had seen him around town.  He knew him but didn't really knew him.



We left and went downstairs in the garden by the chapel.  Holly and I talked about hospice care and I told her a few stories.  It was still a bit cold out so we went back inside.  As we were on the first floor making copies for the nurses, a request for a tour came in, so Holly and I scampered over the the hospice entrance.

Awaiting us was two older ladies, one in her sixties and another in her eighties, both in great health and able to walk just fine.  We showed them around the hospice and the old mansion and they seemed very impressed!  They asked about pricing but I didn't know and being this was a Saturday, I told them they needed to come during business hours.  After that, Holly and I went and finished the copies.

Holly did a fantastic job and I hope that she will last as a volunteer, we need more young volunteers to help with the patients care.  For me its the Lord's work, but not for her.

Has anyone else trained another?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

Brother Roop








Comments

Popular Posts