Baby Strolling

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

Normally I volunteer at our hospice on Saturday afternoons.  But my wife was off work that Saturday and she had to work on Sunday.  So, I decided to go in to volunteer on Sunday afternoon, after church service.



When I went in, I was told by one of our wonderful nurses that a baby was here.  She wasn’t a new baby, but one that has been in and out of here on respite care five or six times already.  Respite care is when the parents need to have their loved one here while they go out of town, or just need a break from constantly providing care.  This baby was one of these patients.  To me its all the same, what I do doesn’t change.

The nurse smiled at me and said that I was just in time for her feeding.  We walked to the room and I sat down in the rocking chair, put a pillow under my arm.  The nurse took the baby out of her crib and gently gave her to me.  She had her bottle all ready and gave it to me. 


I nursed and rocked her for about an hour.  It’s a great thing when I’m not in a hurry, I can just sit there and let the baby nurse from the bottle slowly and at her pace.  I nursed her until she dosed off to sleep.
I was there rocking her when the nurse came in to check on me to see if I needed anything.  She pointed to the stroller sitting in the corner, and asked if I wanted to push her around while she slept. 

I thought that was a great idea!  The nurse put the baby into the stroller, and I was on my way!  I went slowly up and down the hallway.  I strolled her for about thirty minutes. 
She didn’t finish her bottle before, so I sat back down into the rocking chair and let her finish.  After about forty-five minutes, another volunteer walked into the room.  She was there to relieve me so she could rock the baby for a while. 



Whenever we have a baby in our hospice, we all flock to them.  We all love to rock the babies.  Not just volunteers, but the nurses as well, when they have the time.  It’s the volunteers though that will take turns to provide the love.  If only we can take turns to provide love for everyone, this would be a much better world!


Have you took a baby on a stroll lately?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you enjoyed this story you can click on the "follow" button so that you don't miss any.

Brother Roop

Comments

Popular Posts