My Worst Christmas!

 Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I was home for Christmas visiting my mother and older brother. On Christmas afternoon my mother asked me if I could remember a bad Christmas growing up as a child. I shared with her that all of our Christmas' were good. They were all pretty much the same, as they were always at home and within our immediate family. She then shared me her worst Christmas.


In 1960, on Christmas evening, she was working as a scrub nurse at Santa Rosa hospital in San Antonio, Texas. A young sixteen-year-old boy was brought into the emergency room! This young boy was burned from head to toe. He was completely black and charred! After a few hours of intense suffering, he finally died.

Four years later, my parents needed some extra money, so my mother decided to get a waitress job over the Christmas holidays. That's when she saw an older man walk up to the jukebox and play the song, "Danny Boy." That song is an old and very sad Irish folk song. He just sat there, next to the jukebox and cried!

 My mother asked another waitress about him. She said that he walks in here everyday and plays the same song and cries! My mother asked what his name was and his story. When she heard his name, she remembered, he was the father of that sixteen-year-old burn victim four years prior!

This father had bought his only child a sports car on his sixteen-year-old birthday. His son was so happy and called his friends to come over. His son and three of his friends jumped into the sports car and took off.  As young boys tend to do, they decided to find out how fast it would go. At a high rate of speed, the son lost control of the car, hit an embankment, flipped over and exploded into flames! The three young friends were killed on impact! The son was still alive, and was taken to Santa Rosa hospital, where my mother was working. 



William James Roop, M.A.B.S.

Roop-Crappell Ministries

My Author Page

Hospice Care and Dying

The Trucking Tango






Comments

Popular Posts