Those Don't Need To Be Closed!

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

It was a nice quiet evening outside, the air was warm and still.  I had scheduled myself to volunteer this Saturday evening.  My girlfriend wanted to go with me because she wanted to go shopping!  She knew some shops that were in the area of town where the hospice is, and she wanted to check them out while I was volunteering.


She dropped me off at the front doors, and drove off.  I went in and made some coffee and put some cookies out for our guests.  A few refreshments for our guests make a big difference.  Anyway, that is only my opinion.

I started walking down the hall, I seen an elderly African-American lady laying in bed in an empty room.  I walked in and introduced myself to her.  I quickly looked around and I didn’t see any personal objects around.  That is usually a sign of no family visitations.


She had a problem with her memory, I asked her about her family, she knew how many children she had, but could not remember their names!  It distressed her that she could not remember, I assured her that it was okay.  I worked with her on remembering her family.  She had three children and six grandchildren.  But she still could not remember their names.  Its very sad to lose your memory!

We had a difficult conversation, but she enjoyed the company.  She was born and raised in Dallas, Texas.  She was her because for the last few years she needed to live with one of her granddaughters.  I asked her how it was living with her, and she surprised me with saying that she didn’t like her granddaughter very much!  I tried to laugh that comment off, but she did not. 


We chatted for a while longer and she enjoyed it.  When it was time for me to leave, I noticed that it was dark outside.  She had a room facing our back garden, but at night it is not observable.  So, when I got up and started to close the shutters on the windows.  Most people like the privacy at night.

As I started to turn the knob, she snapped at me and said, “those don’t need to be closed!”  When she snapped at me to reopen them, I did.  When they were back open, she was fine.  If she had a reason to keep them open, she didn’t tell me.  Anyway, if she wants them open, then they can stay open!



Dealing with people sometimes takes patience.  It always takes compassion!  All people should be treated as Jesus treated people.  Jesus always treated folks with love and compassion.  We should follow His example!

Do you know someone with failing memory?  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

If you enjoyed this story you can click on the "follow" button so you don't miss any.

Brother Roop
Feb 4, 2012

My website:
www.billroopministries.com

My other blog:
www.biblicalhermeneuticsposts.blogspot.com

Apostolic Theological Seminary
www.atseminary.com

Comments

Popular Posts