The Champian Driver

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

After dropping off my wife at her Mormon Temple, I drove in a steady rain to the hospice.   It was a rainy Saturday afternoon during the holidays so few people were on the road.   As I walked in I remembered that I had forgotten my badge in my other car. So, the first thing I had to do was to make a temporary one.

 At the nurses station they recommended a patient to sit with.   As I walked into the patients room he immediately agreed for a visit.   He was a little bit difficult go understand, but good enough for a conversation.   He was an elderly black man who was struggling with cancer.   I soon found out that he drove a truck for Champion Paper for thirty years.   For a truck driver to stay at the same employer for so long is rare these days!   This one fact spoke volumes about his character.   His pain medication was causing him to have some hallucination.   As I leaned in to hear him better, he asked me to lean back because there was a tree that was caught up on the ceiling and could fall on me.   A bit later he said that he could see a snake outside of the window.   I told him that as long as it stayed outside it would be alright.  He agreed!



 My second patient was a middle aged white man who was resting, but would open his eyes occasionally.   I just sat with him just to be there for him.   I sat there in the quiet watching the rain outside.

Earlier in the afternoon, I went in a room to speak with a family member.  She told me that her husband was in the last stages of cancer.  I asked what I could do for her.  She gave me some money and asked for a diet-sprite from the vending machine. I went down and noticed that there were no diet-sprites available. So I went back up and told her.  By that time she was joined by a middle aged man.  She agreed to a diet-coke instead and a went back down to get the diet-coke.  When I returned with it she was joined by a middle aged woman.  She thanked me and respectively left the room.



Have you ever known someone who was hallucinating.  Can you tell me about it in the comments section?

Brother Roop

Comments

Popular Posts